Friday 24 January 2020

ALEX DA SILVA HAS DIED ~ JOE POLLITT



Alex da Silva died on the basketball court playing his favourite game. 30/12/2019 HAPPY NEW YEAR TO NOBODY ~ He was aged 45, (a mere 'Toddler') but he was a winner to the end. We, his family, friends and me are all so very shocked of his departure. He died of an aneurysm to the brain and it was instant.

Death is so final....his passing leaves such a massive hole in my heart. Today, I have just returned from his home town of Mindelo in Sao Vincent island of Cabo Verde. I went essentially to hug and kiss his Mother, Eloise who has played such an important role in Alex's life and to meet his friends, Julio, Eloise and partner Morello (the architects), Tony (the dancer) and Miriam his beautiful wife at their cafe in Mindelo and his assistant Edison. Edison is so cool.....he wonders around Mindelo in a daze, the loss is so great. I wanted to see how Alex lived and who loved him as I did. When last we spoke on Skype he said, "Look Joe, I am living the DREAM!" So I just wanted to see that dream for myself....Sadly, he leaves behind his Dutch partner, Ganner and their six year old daughter Odilo.

Like all the islands in Cabo Verde, Mindelo is by the sea and every day I was there I went out secretly at 5.30am before the street dogs start barking, down to the harbour to pick up shells that the sea had brought in.....picking from the sandy beach pockets full of shells....and I would take them back to Alex's Gallery, "ZERO POINT" and put them outside the door as if the sea where giving these presents to Alex in his passing...so emotional and plenty of tears shed in the past two weeks...the personal loss to me is immense. He was a brilliant personal guide when it came to African Art and a great friend that never judged me, just stirred me right. I am going to miss him madly.

I am preparing to write his Obituary for the New York Times, The Guardian and the Huffington Post...I just hope they accept them....His passing is HUGE in regards to AFRICAN ART.

The Cultural Minister of Cabo Verde was a good friend of Alex's and has asked me to write a biography of his life....we will see. I will keep you posted.

Blessings to you all from Alex da Silva XX

Please read my post on the SLAVE MONUMENT in ROTTERDAM ~ ALEX'S MASTERPIECE

(This needs editing, it is not perfect but the sentiment of Alex and me is there...I really respected him and loved him as an ARTIST and as a MAN....)

https://joepollitt.blogspot.com/2015/01/slave-monument-in-netherlands.html




No comments: