Tuesday 31 March 2015

Stainglass from Uganda

Mathias Muwonge Kyazze | Master of Glass Art

Mathias Muwonge Kyazze
Mathias Muwonge Kyazze

How did you go about becoming an artist?

I was always interested in drawing geography maps and science drawings at primary school.  At home, I was involved in mat weaving and basket making. I started formal art classes in Senior One. Senyondwa Deus was then my best friend. He is now a lecturer at Kyambogo University. He inspired and encouraged me because he was a better drawer. I studied art through high school to attaining a Masters degree.  I am still practicing, and becoming more of an artist.

 Image

What are you working on at the moment?

I am working on two major stained-glass design projects. One at St. Charles Lwanga Church in Ntinda near UNEB, and another at St. Joseph’s Church, Nansana.

Image

Where do you see your art practice in the next five years?

It is difficult to predict because it depends so much on the design commissions I receive. I the meantime, I am thinking of developing more into an art and design consultancy.

 Image

Can you tell me about an artist whose life/work you really like?

Prof. G Kyeyune’s paintings and sculptures inspire me a lot. So do (Mary) Naita’s.

 Image

What would you say in a short text message to an aspiring artist?

Getting to know what other artists have done, and written about in art and related disciplines, is key to shaping one’s art practice.


Image

Mathias Muwonge Kyazze can be reached at +256 777 912 122

No comments: